August 11, 2010

Trivial Musings on Movie Posters

Perhaps you've noticed some of the trends in movie posters. I have only because I have been on the "watch instantly" portion of Netflix's web site almost every night this last week looking for movies that I've always wanted to watch but never had the chance. You can't help but notice these movie posters. Netflix uses them all over their website. I think that one of the most unique things about movie posters is that it is art that was once used to advertise and now it becomes the visual identifier (much like an album cover.) After leaving theaters, movies rely on slick photography and graphic design to sell the consumable copies. The problem that I see with most movie posters is that they are all some variation of the same thing. The main characters front and center so you can get a good close look at those pretty celebrity faces. They are usually overly glossy. Few ever utilize illustration. (God bless indie films) The most obvious trend of the typical poster is the disembodied head. This is so obviously worn out that it has been spoofed by the comedy website "funny or die" and can be seen here! The trend that I am starting to get sick of is the little boxes either containing scenes or faces. I don't have much commentary on this, witty or otherwise. I do how ever have more than a few examples:

4 comments:

  1. HA! That is so true! That Funny or Die video is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was too funny!! I agree with the boxes, so stupid! The Fountain has a really awesome movie poster http://wellmedicated.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/50-movie-posters.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that was a great video! "The more heads the better." I love at the end where he gets emotional and says "Gavin you did it."

    ReplyDelete